St. George’s Indian Band
About Newfoundland First Nation’s Band Council
As a Newfoundland First Nation’s Band Council, the St. George’s Indian Band strives to promote cultural awareness and a sense of pride in our Mi’kmaq heritage.
The St. George’s Indian Band is a non-profit Mi’kmaq organization established in 1972 and affiliated with the Federation of Newfoundland Indians in 1989. It is comprised of a chief, vice-chief, secretary, treasurer, four directors, an elder and a youth representative who are elected in a democratic process every four years.
The Band currently represents approximately 1700 members inside the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, with another 500 outside the province.
As a First Nation’s Band Council, the St. George’s Indian Band strives to promote cultural awareness and a sense of pride in our Mi’kmaq heritage. Our priorities include education, health, economic development, improved housing, cultural enhancement, tourism and recreation.
The community of St. George’s is an area rich in Mi’kmaq history. Earliest occupation of the area is uncertain, however, the area known as Seal Rocks, that is now a part of the community of St. George’s, is well documented as being the largest and principle Mi’kmaq settlement in the 17, 18 and early 1900’s. It was established in 1804 as the first permanent settlement for the settlement of the Mi’kmaq People of Newfoundland and for the resettlement of the Mi’kmaq of Nova Scotia. Mi’kmaq oral tradition maintains that the Mi’kmaq occupation of the area is ancient.
Our spiritual grounds are located in different areas: Steel Mountain, Mendueuge (Devil’s Place), Calvary Hill, Hell’s Gultch, Hungry Grove, Seal Rocks, Molly Ann’s Cove, and the Mouth of Barachois.